Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A day when all went wrong.

Days have been routine and boring here in Bangalore. A pretty screwed up routine it is, nonetheless. But there are a couple of days which stand out and stay in memory for a long time. Wednesday, 11th of July was going to be one of them, much to the surprise of me.

It's become a part of the Bangalore life to stick the earphones in my ears and listen to the interesting FM Radio. Usually RJs offer coupons and tickets in the shows and one day the question was simple. I answer, I get a couple ticket for The Amazing Spiderman. I'm happy. Then i suddenly realize, I don't have anyone to take! Well, life can be sad sometimes. Then i remembered Prajna - my awesome senior.

After a couple of postponements, one day suddenly one morning we decide to go.

So this movie is in the far corner of the city, and I'm supposed to pick up the tickets from the Radio office. I visit the radio office, after much searching. It's just opposite the Hindustan Aeronatical Limited and the Old Airport. I was gawking at one of the helicopters floating feets above the ground as a part of some practice routine. I then visit a Radio office for the first time. It's a buzz inside, but you'll be lucky if you get to talk to any RJ. Anyway I get the tickets I was promised.

The mall was further out the city, and we reach the mall by sheer accident. Just when we were wondering if we were lost, the mall appears. It looked good from outside, but the mall really is disappointing. It's new, it's got few shops that'll interest you, and it's flocked by IT professionals. What do you expect in a mall set in a Tech Park?

After some roaming, we buy some cloths in Reliance Trends. I buy a shirt marked 60% off, another one at 40%. The total reaches 2000, so we get a further 15% off. All in all, a satisfying saving of about Rs. 1000.

As we enter the movie theatre, the movie has started. 3D glasses are to be paid by me, and are not covered by the tickets. That's weird. And the glasses are damn heavy.

Then i got the worst shock of the day.
[Edit: I haven't read the Amazing Spiderman comic, so it's the first time i'm coming across the story]
The movie. It shattered all my expectations from a Spiderman movie, which i usually love. The story was a repetition of the old Spiderman, but with a new sci-fi angle. A worse, boring, predictable, Bollywood-ish angle. Why would that be necessary? The story till now was wonderfully poised, the old hero was a delight to watch. And then this. At one point i felt Krrish and Ra-One were better, though I haven't watched the second one. Nevertheless, the movie was a disappointment.  To add to the misery, the tasteless popcorn and the heavy glasses made me tired by the time movie got over.
I could still say, the movie left us elevated. We entered on third floor, came out on fourth. Elevated.

Then we go back. On the way, while sharing the amount we spent, I suddenly realize, I was offered only 20% discount for the shirt with the 60% tag. I was thinking in dismay as we travelled back from the remote mall, and couldn't decide whether to go back or not.

Now begins one of the funniest Customer-Care interactions ever.
I call the phone number on the receipt. A man answers the call.
"How may i help you, sir?"
"I've bought a shirt from you today, and it has a 60% off tag on it. But you've given me only a 20% off. How do you explain?"
"I'm sorry for the trouble, sir." Standard line. "But which shirt is it, sir? Which brand?"
I tell him the brand of shirt and he replies, coolly, "But sir, it's got only a 20% discount."
That drove me nuts. The tag clearly says 60%. When i picked it up, I had thought it was a steal.
"Then why would you put a 60% off label on the shirt?"
Now he couldn't do anything else. "I'm transferring the call to a senior officer, sir."
I could see some hopes now, I was trying to remember and decide which other shirt to buy. "How may i help you, sir?"
What did they mean by transfering my call? I'd explain the whole story again? Well i did.
"I'm sorry for the trouble, sir." Again.
"Well, do something then."
"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you the shirt only has a 20% discount."
This really enraged me. "Then why the tag? You've fooled me into buying a shirt!"
Then she says the best line ever - "The tag is 60%, but the discount is only 20%, sir."
I burst out laughing. She started laughing on the other end, too. What sort of explanation is that?
I realized I was losing the seriousness. I retorted, albeit unable to control my laugther - "I'm actually very angry about this matter, but i'm laughing only because It's funny!" I didn't know what i was saying, and we were hysterical.
Then she says, "I'm sorry about the trouble, sir."

Oh, well. Now I couldn't do anything. I told her I'll take this matter up to 'higher authorities', and that I'll make sure action is taken. I didn't know what sort of action could be taken in a country where people just accept such things as their fate and move on.

Count? Complain? Customer Forum? They sounded like a distant dream. I told myself to sit back and relax and think about all the money I saved today despite the confusion.

Then we went to Hema's home for dinner, and i should say it was more than sumptuous and delicious. After a long time, I could eat good food, with friends. Loved her place, her family and the food.

It's surprising how a day can qualify as a great one despite all individual events in it being bad. The company was great, I laughed heartily and was happy. That's all matters.

1 comment: